Nov 16, 2011

A Big Deal

"Life doesn't always play out the way we plan it to" as someone famous probably said at some point.

Our life plan was the typical BYU-student family plan: marriage, job, and children. Marriage and job happened and we continued onto the third leg of the race with all that entails. After some time trying to get pregnant, we faced the music and took the sobering walk into the fertility clinic.

We felt many of the same feelings many couples do: disappointment, doubt, confusion and anxiety. We've weathered many of the strange and/or awkwardly forward social encounters with inquiries regarding our plans for children. We deflected and joked as we could, knowing there was no harm or offense in asking. However, the gravity of our potential future weighed heavier as time moved along.

With time, we've become accustomed to a life involving blood tests, varying medications, probes, needles, medical procedures and surgeries. Our medical stash resembles a hospital closet. Kyle could inject a shot with his eyes closed. We were getting very good at not getting pregnant.

With each negative result (and huge disappointment), we allowed ourselves a "sulking" day with a bag of Double Stuf Oreos and a big Mountain Dew. Life can be tough, but Oreos seem to be a pretty effective buffer. Stan's donuts work pretty well, too. Indian food just made us sad.

Resources and options were running low. With much contemplation and prayer, we decided to move forward with IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization). We put all of our trust in the medicines, our doctor, and God for this to work. With much effort and many prayers on our behalf, we fully embraced the procedure and it's potential outcome.

With the completion of an additional surgery, copious amounts of shots and the actual IVF procedures, we awaited the results.

We knew well what a negative pregnancy test looked like, so we didn't know how to react to the test results. Kyle broke the news that the test was negative. Because he'd never seen a positive sign, he didn't know how to recognize it when it actually appeared. We didn't believe it anyway until the blood work came back positive. WE'RE GONNA HAVE A BABY!!!!

Baby Sager - Due May 22, 2012

We feel so blessed for the answered prayers and this gift awaiting us a few months from now. It breaks our hearts to hear of other couples having to go through this struggle and extremely difficult process of trying to get pregnant. It has opened our eyes to the sensitive nature of the many struggles that families may pass through, in any stretch of life.

We want to thank our families and friends for all of the love and support they've extended to us. We're elated to share the good news we've been waiting so long for! We can't wait for our baby to arrive.

15 comments:

Kara said...

YAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!! There aren't enough words in the English language to describe how excited I am for you guys. I love this baby already, and yes that is super creepy of me. I am so so so so so happy!!!!!! May 22nd cannot get here fast enough. Love you guys!

Stephanie said...

CONGRATS! How exciting. May is a fantastic time for babies. :) I'm so happy for you guys.

teuscher travels said...

Typing through tears, so very, very happy for you!!!!!! I hope you are feeling well and can't wait for May!

Christian, Kerri, & The Boys said...

Congrats!! I am super excited for you!!

jess bahr said...

Congrats you guys! I am so happy for you guys! Hope you're feeling well and that you have a great pregnancy - can't wait to hear updates :)

Rachel and Eric said...

Ya-freakin-hoo!!!!!!!!! This baby has no idea what it's in for with you two as its parents!!! :) Although I will forever be sad that you can't come to Mexico, this is THE ONLY acceptable excuse for not coming. I seriously cannot wait to see you and that little creature inside of you...January 11th, here we come!

candace said...

oh my gosh, congratulations!! we are so happy for you guys! you are going to be such awesome parents. let me know if you need anything...(lunch at chili's, anything :).

The Mostess said...

Fabulous news!!!! We are so excited for you two. That is one lucky baby. :)

Shannon said...

Hooray, Hoorah, for baby Sager! This was a perfectly put and beautiful post, by the way. Congrats and let's hang out soon!

Kristine Gray said...

Congrats!! So excited for you. I thought this was what you were up to but didn't want to ask because I hated all the questions when I was in the throes of IVF. You guys will be great parents.

Truman & Amy said...

Oh my goodness!!! Congrats!!!! We are so excited for you guys!

Love Amy :)

The Meilsoe's said...

You two are amazing and strong people! Thank you so much for sharing your story. Can't wait to hear more of your story over the upcoming months.

The Yorgason Family said...

Oh my gosh!!! I am Soooo excited for you guys!!! This brought tears to my eyes! I can't for this little bundle of joy to be apart of your lives!! Hopefully, you are feeling well and if there is anything we can do for you, please let us know. I know we aren't Super close, but we I can always send something in the mail!! We love you and look forward to your new arrival!! :0)

Ashley said...

Okay, I had no idea that you were going through all this. Bless your hearts. I am so, so glad that it eventually worked and that this sweet baby is coming to you! I can't imagine how crazy it must have been to finally get that positive result. Of course, just because you are getting a baby now does not mean the oreos and Dew and Stan's must end.

Kristina said...

Congratulations!!! You are going to be such awesome parents!