Here is a little secret about me. I love to cook...I hate to bake. I have cooked a lot of good meals in my life, but when it comes to baking, I am a failure. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to whip up some yummy banana bread, and it comes out of the oven burnt on the outside and gooey on the inside. Is that the oven's fault, or is that my fault?!?
Part of the reason I am not a good baker is because I really don't like to use measuring cups. Cooking doesn't require the EXACT measurement like baking does. Also, cooking does not require the use of YEAST - and baking does.
Here is another little secret about me. I AM DEATHLY AFRAID OF YEAST. I know it is the silliest of fears, but I have always been afraid to make anything that calls for yeast. The thought of making something "grow" before adding it to the rest of the ingredients sounds REALLY HARD to me.
Well, today was a big day for me. I put my fear of yeast to the side, I made plenty of phone calls to ask lots of questions, and I made my very first batch of home-made potato rolls!!! YAY FOR MEL!!!
How did they turn out, you ask??? They were totally yummy. They still didn't stand up to the way my Mother-in-law makes them, but they were still pretty good knowing it was my first time baking these amazing potato rolls.
Here is another little secret about me. I was giddy the rest of the night because I made yummy potato rolls.
This is a picture of what they were supposed to look like. They didn't turn out as good looking as this, but you get the idea. I am sure mine tasted better...

4 comments:
YAY MEL! WOO HOO! Give yourself a little bear hug from me :)
It's not you...it's your oven. I promise.
Enjoy those rolls!
Hi Mel! I am glad you posted your blog on facebook - now I can check and see how Cali is treating you guys!
2 things:
first - it is the oven's fault - turn the temp down 25 degrees - that way it can cook all the way through without burning
Second- Howie is adorable. Maybe someday him and our mini doxie can have a play date :)
Looks like you are enjoying life!
Feel free to check out our blog:
njbahr.blogspot.com
-Jess
Mel you are a great cook AND a great baker--sticky buns, HELLO?!?! And your homemade gravy, and all your great meat marinades...oh, this makes me miss you and all the food we eat together:( I can't wait to see you guys at Christmas! FAMILY REUNION!
Post a Comment